How Does A Bridge Loan Work: A Homebuyer’s Guide

As an investor, having financial options that cater to both short-term and long-term needs is crucial. It allows you to adapt to the demands of various real estate deals. One such option is the bridge...

As an investor, having financial options that cater to both short-term and long-term needs is crucial. It allows you to adapt to the demands of various real estate deals. One such option is the bridge loan. Bridge loans can bridge the gap between two independent deals, providing the flexibility you need. In this article, we will delve into the details of how a bridge loan works and why it can be a valuable tool in your investment toolkit.

What Is A Bridge Loan In Real Estate?

A bridge loan is a financial product that allows homeowners to purchase a new property before selling their current one. It serves as a temporary solution, as it can be challenging to qualify for two mortgages simultaneously. For investors, bridge loans also play a crucial role in financing new deals on a short timeline. They are often referred to as swing loans, gap financing, or interim financing.

How does a bridge loan work Image: How does a bridge loan work

How Does A Bridge Loan Work?

Bridge loans come into play when a homebuyer or investor wants to purchase a second property without selling their existing one first. This situation commonly occurs in slow seller's markets or when investors wish to finance a new investment project while wrapping up another. The challenge lies in qualifying for two mortgages simultaneously and finding lenders willing to lend on a home equity loan for a property already listed on the market.

To solve this, individuals can take out a bridge loan against their existing property to finance the purchase of the secondary property. Once the original property sells, the proceeds are used to pay off the bridge loan, and the buyer can apply for a new mortgage to finance the new property. Lenders typically finance up to a certain percentage (around 80%) of the combined value of both properties, with the remaining balance paid as a down payment.

Bridge loan qualification varies from lender to lender, with many evaluating the value of the deal rather than solely focusing on the individual's financial qualifications. The duration of a bridge loan is usually around five months to a year.

When To Use A Bridge Loan

Bridge loans are particularly useful in the following scenarios:

  • In competitive seller's markets, where homeowners want to buy a new house before selling their current one.
  • When a home sale contingency cannot be negotiated in the purchase of a new house.
  • When homeowners cannot afford the down payment on a new home without selling their current one first.
  • When homeowners want to purchase a new house before selling their old one.
  • When homeowners are not on schedule to close on the sale of their current home before buying a new one.

Bridge Loan Costs

Bridge loans tend to be more complex than traditional loans, involving more "moving parts." Due to their higher risk nature, bridge loans come with higher interest rates compared to traditional mortgages, usually around two percentage points higher. Additionally, borrowers are expected to pay closing costs, ranging from 1.5% to 3.0% of the loan amount.

What is a bridge loan Image: What is a bridge loan

Alternatives To Bridge Loans

While bridge loans are a great source of capital for those looking to buy a home before selling their current one, there are alternatives available. These alternatives offer similar benefits and include:

  • Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC): Allows homeowners to tap into the equity of their current home, with lower interest rates and an extended repayment period compared to bridge loans.
  • Home Equity Loans: Similar to HELOCs, but with a lump-sum payment rather than a line of credit.
  • 80-10-10 Loan: Combines two loans to cover 90% of the home's purchase price, with the remaining 10% covered by the borrower's down payment.
  • Personal Loan: Provides timely cash, but requires a strict approval process.

Summary

Bridge loans are a valuable tool in real estate, allowing homeowners and investors to purchase a new property before selling their current one. They provide flexibility and freedom but come with inflated interest rates and closing costs. When considering any financial commitment, it's essential to carefully weigh the benefits and potential risks. Bridge loans are just one option among several alternatives available to suit specific time constraints.

1